Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Oath I took


It is an oath, once taken, to be held sacred.

Oaths of Enlistment and Oaths of Office:

"'I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.' (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962)."

According to the UCMJ, the only orders I was sworn to follow were lawful orders. I obeyed unlawful orders at my own peril, as Lt. Calley found out the hard way, during the My Lai masacre investigation and courts martial that followed, when he was scapegoated for the criminal orders of those officers above him in rank.

To this day, I take that oath seriously.

The main enemies of our constituion, at the present moment in history, are to be found in the Bush administration.

Enough said!

No comments: